The much-rumored, long-awaited album by the legendary, late, great hip-hop producer & rapper, J. Dilla was finally released by Mass Appeal records on April 15 (Tax Day in the US). If you haven’t heard it, you can check out a couple tracks below or listen to it in full HERE on the DK Tumblr.
But why just stream it when you can own your beautiful copy on wax courtesy of The Kitchen? Want to learn how. Just retweet this tweet for a chance to win. Contest will end 12 noon EST on Friday May 13. Note: You must be a resident of Canada to be eligible to win.
What can be said about Prince that does the man and his legacy as an artist & person justice? He was a giant, a legend, an icon and so much more that is only coming out in the wake of his unexpected and untimely passing last Thursday. The impact of what we have lost with his passing will reverberate for years to come. To wit…
Bonus reading and video:
– Miles Davis on Prince: “Prince was like James Brown, Jimi Hendrix and Charlie Chaplin”
– An absolutely INCREDIBLE video of Prince preforming “It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night” from the never (or very limited) released Sign O’ the Times concert documentary film
– An amazing acoustic performance by Prince on VH1
– That time Prince jumped up on stage unannounced and performed with Q-tip
– Van Jones on the breadth of Prince’s anonymous philanthropy and altruism
– The story of the time Prince gave a free concert at a college for deaf students
– Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top calls Prince’s guitar playing “otherworldly” and “defying description”
– The guitar solo Prince played at the 2004 Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony that has been dubbed the “greatest of all time” by some
– Bruce Springsteen‘s tribute performance of “Purple Rain” to open his show in Brooklyn last night
– Video of the only time Prince, Michael Jackson and James Brown were all on stage together at the same time
– Absolutely heartbreaking of video of Whitney Houston and her daughter, Bobbi Kristina watching Prince perform “Raspberry Beret”
– Chevy’s perfect tribute to Prince
And a track featuring two cats who’ve taken modern soul and R&B in a whole different direction. Scarborough, stand up ‘cos this kid is KILLIN’ the game!
And two tracks from the kid who might be the new Maxwell, Gallant. “Weight In Gold” and “Open Up” are both from his excellent just-released (this past Friday, I believe) debut album, Ology. Don’t sleep on this album, it could be a contender (along with 6 others already) for a slot on my Year End List.
New Maxwell! It’s been a minute since the understated but brilliant, BLACKsummers’night album (2009 to be exact) but it’s long-anticipated follow-up, blackSUMMERS’night is finally coming July 1 and here goes the first single.
Rumors of the passing of Phife Dawg, from the legendary hip-hop group, A Tribe Called Quest, which started to surface just as I was going to bed last night, were like a baseball bat to the head. Even though it was well known that he was a long time sufferer of type II diabetes and […]
Picking our Top 10 favorite albums this year was tough! It was an especially good year for music. Many of the Honorable Mentions below could have made it into Top 10 (the same Top 10 I submitted for my Village Voice Pazz & Jop ballot) if I was in a different mood. Truth be told […]
The 2015 list of favorite songs or singles at The Kitchen is kind of in rough order and not much different from what I picked for my Pazz N Jop ballot. Jidenna‘s “Classic Man” was most definitely my favorite song of the year without a doubt although The Weeknd‘s “Can’t Feel My Face” gave it […]
ICYMI, last week I wrote a piece for BBC 1Xtra‘s DJ Semtex‘s new A Nation of Billions site on the Canadian hip-hop scene. Here’s a quick taste: It’s been a busy past few months for Drake. A couple weeks back, he rode to the top of the Billboard album charts yet again with, What A […]
Second premiere of the week after the DJ Emkay remix of Fetty Wap‘s “RGF Island” this past Tuesday??! The Kitchen got its swagger back! Check out this traptastic, hip-hop flavored original track by the west coast-based duo, Neza x Alxndr. Peep the full bio: NEZA x ALXNDR are 2 musicians based in LA making hip-hop […]
Going strong since August 2003, our roots run deep in the game. We made the records that your favorite rapper was inspired by, true story. Want that ole' different ish? Walk with us (and while you're at it, click the 'Like' button in that Facebook widget down there on the right to follow us on the DIFFERENT KITCHEN Facebook page and also check out the brand new DIFFERENT KITCHEN Tumblr....)