Lead single from Ultra Magnus & DJ SLAM!‘s latest album The Raw [Bandcamp streaming link], which has a bit of Run The Jewels feel on the production to my ears. I’m a little late on this. Not only did the album drop a month ago (Feb. 20) but they just completed an 11 date tour across Ontario, Quebec and the East Coast of Canada. Respect to indie rappers on they grind who realize building a career involves more than tweet spamming bloggers with your soundcloud links! Your man’s dressing gown tho’….
Anthemic, gutter sh-t by Durag Dynasty and Just Blaze. My kind of hip-hop!
A little Sunday morning jazzy listening from Toronto’s Badbadnotgood.
Previously on The Kitchen:
– Listen to Tracks from the Badbadnotgood x Ghostface Killah – Sour Soul Album HERE
01. Kanye West – All Day
02. Raury – God’s Whisper
03. Action Bronson – Baby Blue (feat. Chance The Rapper)
04. Fashawn – Something to Believe In (feat. Nas & Aloe Blacc)
05. Christina Milian – Rebel
06. Cashmere Cat – Adore
07. George Maple – Where You End and I Begin
08. Major Lazer – Lean On (feat. MØ & DJ Snake)
09. Jack Ü, Skrillex, Diplo – Where Are Ü Now (feat. Justin Bieber)
10. Basement Jaxx – Jus Be Free With Your Body (Vibe Mix)
11. George Maple – Talk Talk (Moon Boots Remix)
12. Dej Loaf – We Be On It
13. DTMD – You
17. Best Coast – California Nights
18. Colleen Green – I Want to Grow Up
19. Tame Impala – Let It Happen
20. Blur – Go Out
21. Gray – Cut It Up High Priest
22. Machinedrum – Eyesdontlie (DJ Shadow Remix)
23. Big Sean – Outro
24. Estelle and Jussie Smollett – Conqueror
25. Wale – The Matrimony (feat. Usher)
26. Alabama Shakes – Gimme All Your Love
27. Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – The Right Stuff
28. TV On The Radio – Test Pilot (Chilly Gonzales Re-Make)
29. Patrick Watson – Love Songs For Robots
[Playlist] Different Kitchen – March ’15 Picks from RDIO
So apparently there’s been mixed response to this latest leak from Kendrick Lamar‘s just-announced To Pimp A Butterfly album. Between that and the lukewarm response to “i” I have a feeling the album is going to be an eclectic, experimental set like Common‘s Electric Circus that might go under-appreciated or be panned because it’s not GKMC 2.
I, on the other hand, think that Kendrick is in the vanguard of a new black music renaissance (cf. Yeezus, Black Messiah, LP1) that has hip-hop at its creative & artistic core, the same way blues has been for just about all forms of pop music up until this point, and as the basis for its attitude or point of view, but draws on other influences and elements too. Just a thesis I’ve been mulling around for a while now. Needs work for sure, I know….
Unlike my Favorite Albums of 2014 List posted yesterday there is some sense of what was more liked versus less liked here on my Favorite Songs (not necessarily just singles) List of 2014. The Top 10 is the 10 songs I voted for in this year’s Village Voice Pazz and Jop poll and my number […]
I explained pretty well the criteria I used to do my year-end list back in 2012 but for those of you too lazy to click that link, this is not a list of the ‘best’, most commercially successful or most critically acclaimed albums. The only acclaim these albums have are that they are my favorites. […]
What can I say about Melbourne, Australia’s Audego? I discovered this trip hop electronic soul duo while doing a little side gig hustle screening submissions for NXNE this year and I have been a committed fan ever since checking out both of their shows when they flew halfway around the world to perform twice at […]
Gotta give the homie, J.Nolan mad props. He took getting down with the #DK11 THIS ONE GOES TO ELEVEN… album real serious and hustled to get his contribution to the album, a track titled “Deluxe Edition” on all kinds of blogs and sites. Shouts to DJBooth.net, All In A Day’s Work, CWMuzik, AyeBro, TOAN Magazine, […]
The Kitchen has been a supporter of Bronx native, Noah Vinson for a while now ever since we stumbled upon his mixtape, The Life almost two years ago in our submissions inbox. Since then he’s proven to be an adept MC who can handle himself over new school, minimalist trap feeling tracks or classic style […]
Going strong since August 2003, our roots run deep in the game. We made the records that your favorite rapper was inspired by, true story. Want that ole' different ish? Walk with us (and while you're at it, click the 'Like' button in that Facebook widget down there on the right to follow us on the DIFFERENT KITCHEN Facebook page and also check out the brand new DIFFERENT KITCHEN Tumblr....)